It’s been a busy week for client visits to PrintHouse – to discuss new projects, view material & samples and sign of proofs. Although not a necessity, we do encourage calling over to see us and we’re always happy to run though the various processes involved in turning on-screen design/artwork into the finished printed article.
We were delighted to welcome Bernard and Emma from Starkmann last Monday – we’ve been working together for over 10 years now on their twice yearly Major Reference Works (MRW) and within each publication they showcase the work of an artist. For this edition, the chosen artist Bongsu Park was very keen to come over to check the artwork section at the start of our print run “on press”, also see how we take her images and set up for litho printing.
The artwork in question is a subject very close to Bongsu. In March 2012, she discovered her mother had a potentially fatal liver cancer and the only possible treatment was a transplant. As a result, she donated 58% of her own liver – the remaining 42% has since regenerated to 98% of its original size, albeit in quite a unique shape. The results are shown via laser etched glass sheets with images taken from CT scans in the formation of a Mobius strip.
Speaking of going the extra mile, or in this case 26 and a bit, very best wishes to Emma @ Starkmann, taking part in the London Marathon this April and raising money for St Joseph’s Hospice in Hackney.
We also welcomed Ken at Genesis Imaging last week, who we’ve worked closely with for a number of years.
Genesis run a series of A5 postcards with us every few months, showcasing the optimum quality photographic printing, mounting and framing options they offer. Operating in such a visual market, Ken was keen to call over to give us a final OK for colour match and ensure all images used were faithful to the original pieces. For ease of proofing/viewing and cost-effectiveness, all cards were set up together on the same SRA1 sheet.
I can highly recommend the services that Ken and his team @ Genesis Imaging offer …
A word of warning – passing on press is not a replacement to high resolution imposed digital (or similar) proofs we offer, but should be seen/used as an additional check for peace of mind, or simply to see how sheet-fed litho printing works. It’s possible to make minor colour adjustments on press if necessary, but not to be used as a final chance for major colour correction or layout/text amendments (please!). Although true to say details can still be amended on viewing in theory, to run new plates and set up on press again is a costly exercise, hence the recommendation to build in a final proofing stage before any visit.